A class action is a lawsuit filed on behalf of a group or class of individuals with similar legal claims. A claimant, or small group of named claimant (claimant whose names appear on the face of the legal filings), submits a lawsuit representing a larger group of claimant (of which the potential size may be several thousands of individuals) who are unnamed.
Managing this size of class can get complicated without the assistance of technology. Sky Discovery has the experience and the expertise to guide your teams effectively through the project consulting with your team on their options in terms of best fit tools and features to assist the review.
Class Action Expertise
Sky Discovery personnel have a wealth of experience handling large class actions and complex litigations. We add significant value whether managing discovery for defendant or claimant.
We have developed a class member compensation module that allows the firm to estimate projected losses and compensation for the class, all managed within the Relativity database.
Key Features for Defendant Firms:
- Utilising Relativity’s scout collection tool, Sky Discovery will work with your corporate client to devise a targeted and defensible collection of evidence.
- Relativity processing enables us to clean up the collected unstructured data set by removing duplicates and preparing it for review all within the same platform as we move the processed structured data straight into Relativity without it having to leave the software. This enables a smooth process from collection to review and reduces the risk of data errors and time delays.
- Once in Relativity our consultants will work with the project team to scope out the objectives and to build workflows to assist in building the case.
We will offer multiple specific tools that assist defendant firms including:
- Relativity Review Manager assists you with the planning and administration of review projects. It allows you to estimate the time and cost of review, track review progress, and optimize your review strategy to meet goals and deadlines.
- Concept searching goes beyond keywords to find documents based on ideas rather than specific terms.
- Create your own ideal document and search for any documents resembling your fabricated “smoking gun”
- In short, text analytics can find documents you’re not sure even exist and documents that highlight actual liability
- Computer-assisted review helps you accelerate your review process by amplifying your team’s efforts across any substantial document set.
- In computer-assisted review, experts provide coded documents to a system in the form of seed sets, and the system applies their decisions to the rest of the document universe through an iterative workflow managed by the review team.
Key Features for claimant Firms:
As the claimant firm typically receives most of its documents in the form of processed disclosure from the other side, the tools required to assist them in their review are slightly different to those required by the defendant firm.
Visual Document Clustering
- Clustering automatically identifies and groups documents with similar concepts. It labels those groups by the most prevalent ideas in each one and visually represents how the groups relate to one another.
- Unlike a concept search, the user provides no input as to what they’re looking for— there’s no need for subject matter experts to identify example documents. This is a very helpful feature when receiving a large dump of documents in a disclosure and at a loss of where to begin review.
- Search on keywords of your choice from any document, and from those terms text analytics can provide a list of terms that are conceptually related based on the unique language in your data set.
- Quickly uncover important terms that would have taken much longer to find by reading through documents.
- Find code words or hidden language.
- Reviewers code example documents to train the system, and categorization uses the concepts found in the rest of the documents to group them according to the designation and issues coded in the sample set.
- This means you can organise and prioritise your review around the documents you already know are important to your case.
- Email threading is a text analytics feature that works behind the scenes to detect all emails in a single conversation and organise them for faster review. With email messages grouped together, conversations are organised in a way that’s easy to understand and batch out to reviewers.
- Additionally, identifying the inclusive emails—which include content from all emails in a chain— drastically decreases the number of records to review, preventing repetitive work while ensuring all the content is covered. This feature can typically remove up to 20% of a collection from review.